I opened 2016/2017 Euroleague season with a first Euroleague Power Rankings on July 17. This was my opinion: 1. Cska, 2. Darussafaka, 3. Real, 4. Crvena Zvezda, 5. Milano, 6. Barcelona, 7. Kazan, 8. Fenerbahce. These were the 8 teams I thought could reach the post season, while for the other 8 teams, Vitoria, Maccabi, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Pana, Brose, Efes and Zalgiris, I saw a sad season in Europe.
Then I followed the transfer market moves and I studied the antepost odds published by top bookmakers. I changed my mind suggesting you to place a bet on Maccabi Tel Aviv @ 26 stake 4/10. Everything is in my Euroleague 2016/2017 antepost betting tips on August 1.
I confirm my opinion: Maccabi can win the title and bookmakers offer excellent odds for this solution. Take it!
Anyway, now it’s time to reveal my new Euroleague 2016/2017 Power Rankings. Are you ready? Let’s go!
01. Maccabi Tel Aviv – the Israeli team earn 9 position in my ranking. It will be a wonderful season for the yellow & blue supporters.
02. Cska Moscow – I am curious to see them in the Euroleague China Tour in September.
03. Real Madrid – bookmakers see Cska, Real and Fenerbahce as clear favorite this year.
04. Fenerbahce – this is Gigi Datome team. A great player in a great team.
05. Darussafaka – be careful of Darussafaka.
06. Barcelona – be ready to see wonderful battles with Real and Vitoria in Euroleague and in Liga ACB.
07. Crevna Zvezda – their target is a playoff spot. They’ll get it.
08. Unics Kazan – you know, I never understimate Russian basketball.
I see the 8 teams above in the post season, but I wish good luck to the other 8 teams involved in the Euroleague 2016/2017. In order, just to complete my Power Rankings:
09. Laboral Vitoria – Real and Barcelona are stronger than Vitoria.
10. Milano – the team is strong and the coach (Repesa) is excellent, but they usually have problems outside Italy.
11. Galatasaray – no hope.
12. Olympiacos – I see black clouds over greek basketball.
13. Panathinaikos – see Olympiacos notes.
14. Brose – this team is a question point for me.
15. Efes Istanbul – no hope.
16. Zalgiris Kaunas – their target is the Lithuanian title.